This position will be responsible for creating short and long term business plans, and recommending business strategies/measures to achieve product-market development, market share and profit goals on a global basis. Manage the implementation of short and long term strategies by coordinating with sales, operations, supply chain and technical service. Coordinate pricing, promotion, distribution and research for producing and selling products for both health and nutrition applications. Works closely with Operations to optimize capacity and establish cost and supply chain competitive advantages.
This position requires a high degree of interaction, with sales, marketing team members, applications, R&D, marketing communications, quality, manufacturing and supply chain and external partners. The successful incumbent must be able to facilitate interaction and decision-making among functional disciplines relative to product line management.
- Develops and recommends business strategies and marketing plans to maximize the long term profitability of the business, consistent with Health and Nutrition objectives.
- Influences and contributes to other functional strategies and plans to minimize inconsistencies.
- Business strategy represents a thorough analysis of trends, customer and competitor position, corporate strategy and other-functional thinking.
- Product marketing plans are creative, pragmatic, focused on increasing sales and profitability of product line, and include clear deliverables and milestones implemented on time and within budget.
- Ensures that the business strategy is effectively communicated throughout the organization.
- Ensures that division, segment and product line strategies are translated into annual tactical plans (including volume, share, price and industry position objectives).
- Ensures that pricing decisions are made in a timely manner and within the guidelines of the strategy.
- Ensures that critical functions (sales, technology, operations) understand their role as it relates to implementation of the strategy.
- Ensures that marketing provides appropriate tools, education and information to sales, operations and R&D for effective strategy implementation.
Market Development & Intelligence
- Contributes to an environment which encourages the generation of ideas for growth and innovation; with special emphasis on generating ideas through commercial development, sales and R&D.
- Ensures that growth projects are consistent with the business plan.
Uses influence to encourage continuance of promising projects and encourage timely shut-down of non-promising projects.
- Leads the effort to systematize collection and analysis of market and competitor information.
- Utilizes the unique viewpoints and abilities of different functions to collect market and competitive information.
- Participates in industry activities and calling on selected key accounts in order to improve industry understanding and product line presence.
Product and Sales Support
- Resources are appropriately allocated to ensure customer satisfaction and enhance customer relationships
- Non-routine technical and business questions receive prompt replies.
- Assistance, training and guidance in preparing customer proposals and understanding new products or new product applications.
- Provide access to promotional materials that are effective in making new sales.
Communication & Coordination
- Two-way communication is established with upper management to ensure an understanding of broad issues, consensus building and discussion of critical product issues and plans
- New applications and growth opportunities are identified and quantified via input from customers, sales, R&D, and competitive intelligence
- Coordination and cooperation of two-way communications exist between R&D, Marketing/Sales, Operations and Procurement to ensure new applications are developed in a way that meets customer needs and can be produced and distributed in a quality, cost effective manner
- Provides direct reports with direct, honest feedback throughout the year and conducts interactive development discussions at least annually.
- Contributes to the development of product line knowledge and marketing related skills of people in Sales, R&D, Operations and other relevant functions in order to improve their ability to contribute to development and implementation of marketing strategy.
Forecasting & Planning
- Uses functional and customer communication channels as well as industry research and conferences to predict industry trends and capitalize on potential market opportunities.
- External and internal intelligence is utilized to create overall marketing strategy and budget preparation.