AdvancePierre Foods, a leader in the food industry, is a rapidly growing company that values a talented, diverse and dedicated workforce. We have an opening for Food Scientist - Bakery. Our rapid growth allows us to provide a wide array of developmental opportunities, and we reward associates who are results-oriented, live up to their commitments, and who can align their work activities with the goals of the organization.
GREAT BENEFITS! (Medical, Dental, 401K Match) COMPETITIVE SALARY!
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY
This position is responsible to manage the investigations, experimental design, formulation testing, decision making and commercialization of multiple complex new products and current product optimization projects related to Bakery products manufacturing. Incumbent possesses skills to work under some direction with the ability to gather input and support from internal and external sources to help resolve simple to complex issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Support the coordinated development of new products and improvements of current products to deliver on objectives of the annual business plans. Apply sound bakery science techniques to design products with consumer/customer valued attributes. Assume technical leadership of assigned projects from concept development through successful commercialization.
- Lead multiple bakery projects with moderate complexity that results in improved productivity. Involved in the development of new sandwich breads using detailed investigations, well thought out experimental design, sound scientific techniques and data based decision making.
- Investigate for product and process challenges; showing ability to provide creative solutions to solve challenges in development and commercialization.
- Work with on-site departments (i.e. Manufacturing, Engineering, Maintenance, Quality, Purchasing) to determine equipment, materials and processes necessary to produce products to maximize capacity and optimize product quality and differentiation.
- Work in a cross functional team format that includes Marketing, Sensory and other R&D colleagues supporting new sandwich products that deliver on objective of the business unit plans.
- Insure accurate product information input to Cost Accounting and R&D Specification database to maintain the integrity of data entered into manufacturing management systems.
- Knowledgeable to ensure that technically sound sensory panels are conducted for product development, shelf-life studies, improving/maintaining present products and competitive testing.
- Identify and complete technical study of new ingredients that are on trend that can favorably provide competitive advantages to APF breads.
Product & Process Optimization
- Competency to develop into a technical partner to Bakery Manufacturing Management team within APF with potential to provide support to supplier bakeries.
- Identify opportunities for product improvements and cost savings.
- Design and carryout in process studies to identify sources of variation in process and resulting finished goods. Using sound scientific technique, design experimentation to improve formulation, process or equipment to deliver finished bakery products that meet the character parameters defined by internal and external customers. Make recommendations for improvements to Sr. Management in R&D and Manufacturing organizations.
- Working with Quality Assurance leadership, identify testing procedures that provide performance diagnostics.
- Understand the capabilities of bakery products co-packers and plants within the company. Help select co-packers with new capabilities meeting AdvancePierre Foods Supplier requirements. Build relationships with resources within the co-packer/supplier organizations and keep current with needs and capabilities. Oversee the discussions regarding product design, process capabilities and project implementation.
Productivity and Cost Savings
- Understand standard product cost models and raw material markets.
- Stimulate and coordinate cost savings projects. Calculate total savings.
- Carry out detailed investigations to advise the Productivity teams in areas of product formulation and yields. Identify and use different methods of creative idea generation by staff for new product concepts or product improvements.
Technical Expertise and Idea Generation
- Maintain current technical knowledge in bakery/food production regulations, new ingredients, processes, and equipment through trade journals professional meetings, food shows and technical representatives.
- Know the competitive products in the marketplace.
- Recommend and advocate new product concepts which should be taken to next level of development.
- Evaluate relevant competitive products to determine market opportunities for new products and application recommendations for current products.
Target Market and Customer Understanding
- Understand the needs of the customer in the target market segments. Coordinate and participate in key customer product presentations.
- Work closely with customer to develop relationships, products and appropriate technical documentation to meet or exceed expectations.
- Be knowledgeable on current market trends through participation in food shows, sales meeting, technical presentations, reviewing periodicals, and partnerships with suppliers.
- Support sales and marketing organization in idea generation, product usage opportunities.
- Maintain a working knowledge of current USDA, FDA, FNS, and Canadian and Mexican regulations (as applicable to assignments) as they relate to the food processing industry.
- Develop and obtain approved labels for products developed.
- Know how TQC and HACCP programs affect new products.
- Provide raw material information and formula to AdvancePierre Foods regulatory leaders to create the nutritional analysis, product analysis, and nutritional facts panels.
Relationships with Internal and External Resources
- Participate in sales meetings to educate sales personnel on technical issues and the New Product Development Process.
- Coordinate with Manufacturing and Accounting the implementation of products in the process development program. Participate in the setting of standards for yields and throughputs.
- Communicate frequently with resource people related to the industry.
Contribute to Department and Company Strategies, Objectives and Systems
- Contribute to development and execution of the corporate New Products program. Contribute to the development of departmental objectives, standard operating procedures and policies. Monitor key performance indicators of department as assigned.
- Contribute to development of Standard Operating Procedures and the training of the product development staff. Act as a mentor for staff members with less experience.
- Contribute to support functions of the department such as facilities management, equipment selection and maintenance, coordinating meetings, preparing training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Technical knowledge and good reasoning abilities.
- Mature, enthusiastic, motivated team member.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Results Oriented.
- Solid team member with relational skills.
- Excellent PC skills with high level functional understanding of Word, Excel, Project, ERP and PLM systems.
- Good organization skills with the ability to plan a myriad of projects/activities with a high energy level.
- Creative problem solving skills, sound judgment, and an orientation towards innovation.
- Profit oriented.
- Ability to establish credibility with others, as well as be decisive.
- Ability to recognize and support the organizations preferences and priorities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS. or M.S. degree in Bakery Science / Food Science or related area with at least 3 to 5 years of experience in the bakery industry.
- Proven success as Development Scientist in a range of bakery products.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
If you are interested in this great opportunity with a competitive salary, please apply now!