Ainsworth Pet Nutrition
Title: Process Development Engineer
Reports To: Principle Process Development Engineer
Overall Focus: The Process Development Engineer will be highly involved in new product commissioning support (identifying process operation and configuration for efficient production) and identifying, designing, and then driving process improvements through the plant engineering groups.
FLSA Designation: Salary Exempt
Salary Grade: Level:
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES and ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Cross Functional Responsibilities
- Works closely with the product development lead and the plant production team to ensure that the new product commission process is effective and efficient
- Works closely with the technical services group, procurement and packaging regarding value analysis, equipment and systems, cost reduction and documentation
- Works with team to implement new products, new recipes, new technologies and new materials
- Supports engineering activities and direct projects if required
- Process Development and Improvement
- Manages manufacturing process concerns with regards to lowering costs, optimizing quality, quantity, time and hygienic conditions to ensure continuous improvement
- Participates and optimizes the current process to deliver a finished product within agreed quality specifications while ensure the operational costs are minimized
- Understands the costs of manufacture for different process alternatives and determine the most cost efficient method
- Takes the lead to improve processes to deliver new products
- Develops specifications items produced and for all steps in the process
- Other Duties
- Understands the science that has been developed with the laboratory and expand this to scale
- Manage projects and capital budgets as assigned
- Assumes responsibility for own personal development and continuous learning.
- Keeps abreast on new technology, methods and regulations related to responsibilities
- Practices customer intimacy with internal and external customers in day to day responsibilities
- Lives by the Ainsworth values
(Knowledge and skills necessary to meet organizational objectives)
Education/Training: BS in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 3+ years in process development for pet food, cereals or baked goods
(Abilities required of all positions)
- Ability to identify key issues and relationships based on information being communicated by a variety of resources
- Making decisions based on logical assumptions combined with factual information while keeping the organizational values and goals in mind
- An understanding of the love for pets and the importance of the pet/pet parent relationship
- Enduring energy and engagement in the Ainsworth Pet Nutrition culture
- Be a brand and company evangelist
- Working and communicating appropriately and effectively across roles and departments
- Understanding and working towards the long term goals of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition as a unified force
- Customer Intimate
- Understanding and exceeding the customer's needs and expectations, both externally and internally
- Ability to use, understand, and learn from unreserved, honest conversations with other individuals, while still respecting all those involved in the dialogue
- Open, forthright communication that stimulates debate and new ideas amongst a group, as well as with yourself
- Does what they say they are going to do
- Instills trust through actions and behaviors
- Change Agent
- Can adjust to a new environment quickly
- Accepts change as a way of life and works proactively to adapt
JOB- RELATED COMPETENCIES
(Abilities required of this position)
- Creative, value added thinking
- Able to work as part of a team at all levels and communicate effectively to all levels of the business
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to prioritize workload to meet deadlines
- Strong Working knowledge of food science, health and nutrition, food manufacturing processes, quality assurance principles, ingredient supply market and market research practices.
- Able to work independently to complete assigned projects and responsibilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A demonstrable capacity to keep abreast of industry trends
- Proficient in MS Office software-Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Well-developed formal presentation skills before both small and large groups
- Strong interpersonal skills for cross functional collaboration.
- Superb project, organizational, technical, creative, project management and time management skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Self-motivating and dedicated.
- Creative technical development and/or problem solving skills.
- Intellectually curious to find and develop opportunities
(Necessary to perform essential functions of job with or without an accommodation)
Ability to regularly function in a typical office environment and operate related equipment – computer, copier, telephone, etc., as well as, low risk manufacturing environment – able to observe and get around equipment, using PPE, if required.
Ability to occasionally travel by plane, car or other ground transportation, as needed.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time