We are a privately owned family company in the food business for over 45 years. Our senior management staff is the foundation of our success here. Finding like-minded people who are focused on highest quality, doing things right the first time, running in a low cost high volume environment and demanding honestly and integrity in our employee’s. Building a successful company which hopefully has a positive impact on all our employees and people we work with.
The Senior Quality Assurance Manager & Continuous Improvement will be part of our senior management team for TomaTek, our tomato processing plant in Firebaugh, California.
TomaTek packs industrial Diced, Paste, Concentrated Crushed and Organic tomato products in 55 gallon steel or fiber drums, 300 gallon wooden bins and fiber cases. Based in Firebaugh, California right near the fields, our products are packaged within hours of being picked.
As with all of our products, TomaTek uses only the best tomatoes for processing, and our aseptic system moves tomatoes through the cooking process quickly, retaining brighter color, more consistent texture and fresher flavor.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The successful applicant will provide leadership to the plant’s quality assurance and sanitation functions, manage the quality assurance team, and be a leader in continuous improvement initiatives. Working closely with the President, VP of Operations, Sales Managers and Plant Manager to attain and achieve world class manufacturing results.
- Support and lead the Business Team in the strengthening of the Corporate Quality vision, strategy, policies, and practices.
- Within the business, responsible for the integrity of the Food Safety/HACCP System, Product Quality System and Sanitation processes and procedures; Quality Assurance, Quality Improvement, and Quality Image.
- Represent the business when working with customers, including many of the top restaurant chains and food manufacturers, and in coordinating customer and industry audits as appropriate.
- Develop business strategies with the Science and Technology and Culinary team
- Partner with business management in the establishment of skill requirements to develop and maintain the workforce needed to support business needs in the area of product quality and sanitation.
- Establish Key Performance Initiatives and deploy action plans to meet and exceed set goals.
- Monitor and communicate product quality trends to the business team; establish targets and report performance against targets to business team and corporate; recommend corrective action. GOAL: ZERO DEFECTS
- During the fresh processing season may directly oversee a production shift’s quality assurance / control and sanitation activities.
- Develop budgets and staffing guidance for scheduling Quality Assurance and Sanitation staff to match operating requirements while driving a low cost environment.
- Insure control of non-compliant product through product holds and the timely, reporting, disposition and corrective actions of all quality related holds.
- Hire, manage and grow staff by providing education, training and coaching for team members to enhance overall team efficiency and performance. WE FULLY SUPPORT OUTSIDE CONTINUAL EDUCATION THAT WE FEEL CAN STREGHTEN OUR QUALITY TEAM.
- Leverage knowledge, opportunities, and activities across the business to drive continuous improvement in areas of process control, product improvement, sanitation, and cost reduction.
- Ensure adequate quality procedures are developed and adopted across the business in compliance with corporate quality policies and practices and all applicable product standards.
- Ensure overall integrity of the quality system within the business including sanitation, lab testing, physical inspections, record keeping, product quarantine, and claims processing.
- Facilitate SQ/PC implementation at the plant level.
- Provide SQ/PC training and develop plant SQ/PC resources.
- Perform all work in accordance with safety, food safety, and GMP rules and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to align the business strategically with a business quality focus, customer expectations, and lead continuous improvement.
- Strong project management and leadership skills, proven effectiveness in leading change.
- In-depth knowledge of quality concepts, principles, management systems, tools and philosophies.
- Knowledge of product, manufacturing process, customer and business needs, current industry practices, and technology trends.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food safety regulations and requirements.
- CRUCIAL: Demonstrated ability in mentoring and developing managers and staff to ensure quick and successful scale up of operations in a seasonal environment.
- Ability to prioritize business needs and work as an effective team member.
- Ability to communicate effectively at various levels.
- Customer focused.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Minimum 10 + years’ experience in food manufacturing and quality assurance.
- Experience in the application and implementation of HACCP/SPC/TQM /SQF.
- Experience in a batch, pH and aseptic operating environment preferable.
- Or any equivalent combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Quality Management, technical, or related field. Advanced degree desirable.
- Certification in the Quality field desirable.
- Combination of regular exposure to manufacturing plant environment and office work.
- During the processing season, time on the plant floor is increased CRUCIAL: When starting a seasonal operation and bringing in over 1000 people to run the plant, management needs to spend majority of their time on the floor specifically, for the first 4 weeks of the season. Constantly checking and validating skills.
- The environment includes exposure to moving parts, chemicals, airborne particles and high temperatures.
- The employee must have the ability to climb, bend, stoop, kneel, and work with elevated noise levels. The position requires the ability to occasionally lift equipment and / or product weighing up to 50 pounds.
This highly responsible year round position includes a competitive wage and benefits package and is a unique opportunity to be part of a growth oriented business where you know you make a difference each and every day.
See our website at https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=njfco&jobId=171126&lang=en_US&source=CC2 or call us at 360.696.4356 ext 1170.
Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer, Male/Female/Disabled/Veteran