The Director of Regulatory Compliance oversees all Federal and State Government regulated requirements for products sold by Harry and David, Wolfermans, and Stockyards. Regulatory bodies include the FDA, USDA, Department of Agriculture, as well as State specific requirements such as California Proposition 65. This position also oversees all supplier and material specification approval for safe food labeling and manufacturing practices. This position manages the people and processes that protects from label recalls by procedurally creating, reviewing and maintaining accurate records of ingredients and nutritional values according to the regulatory requirements.
Major responsibilities of the position are listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties, assignments and specific projects may be assigned at the discretion of executive management.
- Oversee the product development activities and project manage throughput and progress for creation and approval of nutritional facts panels and other regulatory validations
- Create nutritional labels for products made in the manufacturing plant as well as from external manufacturers (private label, non-private label, and licensed)
- Manage annual intrastate fruit commerce agreements
- Oversee system requirements, business process and usage of ETQ Supplier Material Software database and workflow
- Oversee system requirements, business process and usage of ELS (in-house formulation nutritional facts calculator)
- Supervision and training Regulatory Specialists and staff
- Monitor regulatory websites and subscriptions to update material to stay ahead of upcoming changes that impact the business
- Organize, communicate & execute new regulatory requirements with production, packaging, internal and external labeling.
- Review supplier information to accurately qualify suppliers according to FSMA standards and Harry and David Food Defense Plans
- Review material information to verify accurate nutritional labels and other labeling requirements such as net weight, legal requirements and font size.
- Manage the disposition process for expiring and aging products
- Manage the temperature storage and shelf life requirements process
- Work to solve issues as they occur to maintain the compliance and quality of products and services.
- Responsible for the direction and supervision of staff.
- Respond in a timely fashion to internal customer questions with adequate information to satisfy customer regulatory issues/concerns.
- To create a working environment that recognizes and rewards innovation and cost containment
- Other duties as assigned.