Culinary, Manufacturing/Production, Research & Development
4 Year Degree
The Product Developer will develop innovative and consumer driven new Exclusive Brand products. They support existing products through ongoing monitoring and reformulations. Maintains accountability throughout the product development process from ideation to product launch formula/spec development and commercialization.
Contribute to the definition of brand standards in regards to ingredient, nutritional and product attributes.
Contribute to Exclusive Brands profitable growth and overall success, with focus on new offering innovation, and aligned with overall US Foods' strategy.
Use strong technical expertise, portfolio analysis and insight to identify areas for innovation, claims/nutritional potential, improved profitability
Collaborate with category, marketing, FSQA and other functions to drive project potential and assure aligned direction on priorities
Participate in the building of the Exclusive Brand category strategy in conjunction with Category Mgrs. Direct concept development within agreed business and category strategies.
Identify and evaluate key vendors in conjunction with the product development & category teams. Develop vendor strategies based upon current vendor strengths & weaknesses and long-term development requirements. Build effective relationship with the vendor community
Maintain solid technical and business understanding of the competitive set, and emerging technology to help identify gap or opportunity areas for technical point of difference in US Foods' products.
Develop best-in-class nutritional attributes, formulas and product and ingredient specifications that meet corporate, regulatory, and consumer/customer needs. Ensure that brand integrity and brand strategies are maintained.
Drive for specification ownership and proprietary advantage where applicable to protect investments and block competitive potential. Understand and use technical intellectual property as a key business protector and value add.
Ensure that projects are delivered with the highest quality to the business on agreed timelines and within budget and are communicated with senior leadership and other stakeholders.
Provide senior technical and business support, mentoring, and possible direct report accountabilities of more junior technical staff
Provide support to marketing events and promotions.
Education/Training: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in food science, meat science, or animal science & agribusiness.
CCS (Certified Culinary Scientist by RCA) or other culinary experience/certification a plus but not required
Related Experience: Minimum 5 years work experience in product development and new product innovation, with extensive product development/food science discipline in Beef, Turkey or Deli.
5 years’ experience in consumer packaged goods, retail or foodservice industry.
Customer focused expertise in the foodservice industry.
Prior experience in facilitation of group training is desired.
Some management experience a plus.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: · Excellent knowledge of HACCP and its application in food industry
· The candidate must have a strong foundation in the core fundamentals of the culinary arts
· Strong passion for food and the drive to develop this passion throughout the organization
· Strong sensory evaluation and analysis skills
· Strategic decision-making approach to business interests
· High collaboration and project management skills to work across a broad business base. Ability to influence and translate technical information in a non-technical way to all levels in an organization. Strong judgement and decision making skills
· Highly organized with a strong focus on detail and accuracy. Able to thrive in a complex, high demand, evolving environment, requiring quick responsiveness. Must be able to handle multiple priorities while maintaining focus on the bottom line.
· Must demonstrate a high degree of written and verbal skills and have excellent organization and presentation skills
· Must be able to work effectively as an individual with minimal supervision or as a team member as required
· Must possess strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, OneDrive, and Outlook.
Travel will be up to 40%
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: R200727
About US Foods
US Foods is one of America’s great food companies and a leading foodservice distributor, partnering with approximately 300,000 restaurants and foodservice operators to help their businesses succeed. With 28,000 associates and more than 70 locations, US Foods provides its customers with a broad and innovative food offering and a comprehensive suite of e-commerce, technology and business solutions. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill., and generates more than $28 billion in annual revenue. Visit usfoods.com to learn more.