Land O'Lakes Venture37 (Venture37) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-fork, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets. Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth. By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.
Venture37 plans to prepare and submit a proposal to the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food for Progress program FY2020, to support Bangladesh with the implementation of the Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). This activity would simplify, modernize and harmonize the import/export processes of agricultural goods.
The objective of this consultancy is to work with a small proposal team to develop a high-quality proposal. This includes desk research, in-country fact finding, and technical contributions to program design.
Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, consultants will not be requested to travel. Applicants that are well connected and can schedule virtual meetings (ex: phone, Skype or Webex) will be shown preference.
- Conduct desk and field research (as feasible) to understand the nexus between national trade policies in Bangladesh and the rules and processes associated with the WTO.
- Provide background documentation and information to Venture37 as it relates to the activity scope. Including academic literature and government reports.
- Identify key stakeholders and potential partners to meet with virtually during and after a rapid assessment conducted by the Venture37 team. Facilitate these introductions Support the Venture37 team to develop a list of contacts from which to gather primary data. Collect and consolidate secondary data to obtain evidence to support the project design.
- Create and compile notes from each meeting using the Venture37 notes template. Meeting notes must include the name of the organization and name, title and contact information for everyone in the meeting. Additionally, an overview of the meeting, key takeaways and next steps must also be provided. - Provide technical leadership during the rapid assessment and consolidate technical information from key stakeholders to contribute to a comprehensive, responsive, compelling, coordinated and impactful approach in response to the solicitation. - Support the development of a partnership strategy identifying high potential government agencies, local organizations, public actors and private sector businesses as project partners.
- Participate in proposal design sessions with Venture37 as the technical lead to inform the theory of change (TOC) by presenting the background evidence and data that will inform the design of the theory of change, a detailed results framework, win themes, overall technical approaches, proposed activities and targets per the funding notice and TOC. - Provide technical leadership to the team in the develop of an innovative and responsive technical approach that meets the needs outlined in the funding notice. Write sections of the proposal and coordinate with the Venture37 writing team.
- Provide data inputs to the economic model(s) that will inform successful interventions and indicator targets - Participate in proposal review debriefs alongside the proposal team and work with proposal writers and the rest of the team to incorporate the feedback by continuing to drive the project strategy/approach as the primary technical lead.
Key Information Needs
The consultant will conduct interviews and meetings with stakeholders as well as collect secondary data to obtain evidence to support the TFA and project design.
The Consultant will deliver the following:
TBD in April 2020
Stakeholder Contact List
Create list of key contacts from which to gather primary data in-country that will inform the project design and local implementing partner strategy. Contacts should include local, regional and international organizations
TBD in April 2020
Meeting Notes Report
A meeting notes report using the Venture37 template and including the name of the organization and the name, title and contact information for everyone in the meeting, an overview of the meeting, key takeaways and next steps
TBD in May 2020
Key Findings Document for Presentation on Day 1 of Design
A PowerPoint and word document of key findings from Research and stakeholder contacts as it relates to TFA/WTO standards and procedures. A word document template will be provided by Venture37 that includes key areas of research and key learning questions to capture data from in-country visits. The PPT will be a high-level summary of that data.
TBD in April 2020
Design Workshop Participation in Proposal Design Workshop
Presenting research findings and provide technical leadership to the design process
TBD in April 2020
Pink Team Draft (initial proposal review)
Provide technical leadership and ad hoc writing support to the development of the Pink Team draft which should adequately outline the Theory of Change including a narrative explaining the assumption, high level list of proposed activities, win themes, and a list of design challenges
TBD in May 2020
Red Team Draft (2nd proposal review)
Provide technical leadership and ad hoc writing support to the development of the Red Team drafts RFA with pink team comments incorporated and an updated TOC diagram and written summary of assumptions and an updated economic model(s)
TBD in May or June 2020
Gold Team / Final Drafts (final proposal review)
Provide technical leadership and ad hoc writing support to the gold team and final draft which includes a polished draft. This final draft may have multiple final revisions as it is reviewed as a final product
TBD in June 2020
These deliverables will be punctuated by periodic communications discussing direction, progress and preliminary findings.
Level of Effort
Up to 20 days over a 90-day period (between end of March and end of June)
- Master’s degree in food safety/food technology, business administration, public policy, agriculture or related field or at least 10 years' experience in the given field;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in conducting similar activities for organizations or projects;
- Sound understanding of the issues, challenges and opportunities of implementing new processes compliant with the WTO at the national level as well as on the ground, at the borders and within the various agencies who have oversight of trade and policy change;
-Well established relationships and contacts within the trade, policy and private sector networks in Bangladesh;
- Demonstrated knowledge related to international agricultural trade issues, including but not limited to export procedures to US, EU and GCC markets;
- Proven record of excellent time management, decision-making and research skills;
- High capacity for writing in English and preparing quality written products in respect of deadlines;
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
About Land O'Lakes Venture37
Since 1981, we’ve been delivering market insights and technical expertise to agricultural development projects around the world. Through our affiliation with Land O’Lakes, Inc., one of the U.S.’s largest farmer-owned agribusinesses, we’re Feeding Human Progress by improving agricultural systems.