Valley Fine Foods is a family-owned manufacturer of gourmet pastas & sauces and egg bites with a mission to create healthful, 100% natural and convenient foods. Located near the renowned Napa Valley in California, we are inspired by the region’s rich history of fresh and local produce, gourmet cuisine, and fine wines. Our products can be found at through retail and club locations nationwide.
Objective: The Quality Assurance Manager will ensure the Benicia, CA plant’s Quality Assurance department functions efficiently, accurately, safely and within local, state and federal food safety and health regulations. Lead the Quality Assurance team and interact closely with Quality Assurance Specialists in satisfying the needs of Customers (both internal and external), Sales, Marketing and R&D. Continually improve the quality and service level of the Department through internal audits and records review. Train, review and revise Quality policies and procedures as they pertain to the plant Quality Assurance Department under the direction of the Company's Vice President of Quality Assurance, as necessary. Motivate, train and develop direct report to achieve these goals. This position will lead Food Safety and Quality programs at the Benicia, CA manufacturing facility. This includes leading implementation and on-going program management/oversight of HACCP including USDA as well as FDA Food Safety Plans under FSMA including SQF certification and compliance to Food Safety requirements and other related customer initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· This position has the sole in-plant authority to release or retain product on hold for quality or regulatory concerns, thus sound judgment in rendering a product as wholesome or unwholesome is required.
· Lead integration of the current quality assurance and food safety processes into one integrated process on the production floor and cross functionally as directed by VP of Food Safety and Quality Assurance.? This includes applicable HACCP (USDA), GFCO, and FSMA (Preventive Controls for Human Foods) regulations including regulatory audits and customer audits, quality systems review process (QSR), standard operating procedures (SOP's), incoming ingredient inspections, food safety audits, consumer complaints and standardized work instructions.
· Managing and enforcing the implementation, monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility(s) meet food safety and quality standards.
· Primary SQF Leader at the facility.
o Develop and maintain systems to assure compliance to all applicable Regulatory requirements as well as GFSI – (SQF) and customer requirements.
o Oversee plant compliance and interactions with SQF Certification body and maintain applicable document registries as required by SQF.
o Reassess SQF plans whenever there is a change to program, processes, procedures, ingredients, equipment, etc.
· Training: Identify and ensure all applicable training is conducted with provisions for maintenance of all training records for critical food safety and quality requirements, as well as Federal, State, and Local regulations. Document and maintain training registry for all employees at the manufacturing site.
· Managing regulatory relationship with local USDA/FSIS or other regulatory agencies
· Communicate with customers, regulators, and other stakeholders as directed by Company's Vice President of Quality.
· Primary PCQI at the facility.
o Reassess Food Safety Plans as per Regulatory and customer requirements as well as whenever there is a change to program, process, procedure, ingredient, equipment, industry philosophy, technology, etc.
o Responsible for reporting and taking any necessary action to prevent food safety and food quality problems from occurring.
o Oversee corrective action preventive action (CAPA) process when non-conformances occur.
o Develop, monitor and trend facility Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) for Food Safety and Quality and provide monthly reports to VP of Food Safety and Quality Assurance that measure reportable incidents, product complaints, product holds, EMP, PM-Repairs program and quality deviations for continuous improvement.
o Develop and Maintain control functions of incoming raw material, in-process and final product inspections.
o Interact with management team to communicate functional department needs and provide recommendations for addressing non-conformances
o Conduct internal audits against SQF, customer and governmental standards.
o Oversee the facility Environmental Monitoring Program at the plant interacting with the QA Specialist and Sanitation Supervisor on a routine basis regarding pre-op activities and environmental swabbing result trends.
o Conduct an annual review and evaluation of facility Food Safety and Sanitation SOP’s, SSOP, and Sanitation Schedules.
o Oversee the facility Pest Control program at the plant to ensure the third party PCO carries out the Scope of Service on an ongoing basis.
· Interact with executive team to communicate functional department needs and provide recommendations for addressing non-conformances
· Implement and enforce food safety communication plan throughout the facility
· Food Quality Code: Lead managerial review of process control points to ensure product meet specifications. Recommend measures to improve quality of product and quality systems.
· Other duties assigned by VP of Quality Assurance
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree science, microbiology, food science, etc. or equivalent experience.
· A minimum of 7 years quality management experience preferably in a manufacturing environment with proven leadership skills and strong organizational skills
· Firm knowledge and understanding of manufacturing plant processes and sanitation practices preferably with USDA and FDA experience. Firm grasp of microbiological concerns in a food plant environment. Good written and oral communication skills as this position will interact heavily with customers, both internal and external to Valley Find Foods. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and extrapolate information to different aspects of the job. Prior management of people required.
· Will oversee and manage QA Specialists and their direct reports (QA Techs).
· Training Certificates from an International HACCP Alliance based training course and FSPCA Preventive Controls Qualified Individual Training Course preferable.
· Competent to implement and maintain HACCP-based food safety plans, have an understanding of the most recent Edition of the SQF Code and the requirements to implement and maintain SQF Systems relevant to the supplier scope of certification.
· Ability to analyze processes for Biological, Chemical, and Physical hazards with a thorough understanding of the science and support behind each type of hazard and each step within a production process.
· Demonstrate leadership in the areas of food safety, plant regulatory and Quality Assurance.
· Must have strong organizational, leadership, communication, and critiquing skills. Bilingual in Spanish is beneficial.
· Able to work with cross functional departments within the organization.
· Excellent problem solving and corrective action/resolution skills.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Strong computer skills with experience using Windows based systems, Word, Excel, Power Point.?
· No travel restrictions (ability to visit all Company facility locations and suppliers).
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee may conduct analytical testing daily. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to chemicals and must use appropriate personal protective equipment. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to hot, wet and/or humid conditions, and extreme cold. The noise level in the food manufacturing environment can be loud.
Valley Fine Foods is a family-owned manufacturer of gourmet pastas & sauces and egg bites with a mission to create healthful, 100% natural and convenient foods. Located near the renowned Napa Valley in California, we are inspired by the region’s rich history of fresh and local produce, gourmet cuisine, and fine wines. Our products can be found at through retail and club locations nationwide